Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Updated Roster and Projected Payroll

Last night, Melvin indicated that he'd be offering arbitration to all eligible players on the roster. Here's what the roster and projected payroll looks like right now:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A $16 mil bench? Wow! I'm sorry but there's something wrong when 25% of your payroll doesn't start. For those appreciating having nice backups in case of injury, I just can't get very excited about that. If the Brewers have any chance at a post season run next year, everything is going to have to be almost perfect. Significant injuries to any of the starters will probably boom the team anyway. What's the point of having a good plan B when it won't matter anyway? I'd rather strengthen plan A.

Before I get too crazy, you'll probably notice that there are 6 outfielders and 11 pitchers on the projected 25 man roster, so something obviously has to give. Frankly, I have no idea what Melvin is up to at this point, so I can offer up nothing more than general guesses.

In a chat last week, Melvin indicated that he doesn't see Mench or Jenkins being part of a platoon next year, so (if we can believe Melvin) something obviously has to give there. Some serious bridges were apparently burned between Jenkins and Brewer management last year. I'm not sure if they can be mended at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if Jenkins is unloaded for next to nothing in return, with Melvin still having to take on some of Jenkins' contract. That would clear the way for Mench to **SIGH** become the everyday starter. I don't think Mench is horrible but his offensive ceiling appears to be slightly above average and his defense last year was underwhelming, to say the least.

Right now, I'm very unhappy with this off season but a couple moves could change that very quickly. Let's hope Melvin has a couple tricks left up his sleeve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home